Greenberg Traurig, LLP June 2005-Present
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida Shareholder
- Manage extensive docket of single plaintiff and class action consumer financial services litigation matters while partnering with in-house legal teams to conduct risk assessment for actual and threatened legal actions as well as guide settlement and trial strategies.
- Serve as Co-Chair of global Financial Services Litigation practice group including oversight of practice group litigation attorneys in connection with law firm marketing, business development, and litigation skills training.
- Defend regional and national banks, loan servicers, consumer finance companies, mortgage bankers, credit card issuers, debt buyers, insurers, and third-party debt collectors in a variety of consumer litigation matters involving Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Truth in Lending Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, fair lending, contested foreclosure matters, and common law claims related to consumer lending transactions; supervised over 1,000 cases on behalf of financial institutions.
- Defend and conduct fact and expert witness depositions, prepare and respond to written discovery requests, formulate case strategy, supervise attorneys’ written work product including motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment, document review and production, negotiate settlements, oral arguments, prepare and conduct jury and non-jury trials in state and federal court.
- Defend corporate clients in labor and employment matters, including compliance advice, defending EEOC charges, drafting non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, as well as providing practical advice with respect to hiring, termination and wage and hour issues.
Katz Barron Squitero & Faust, P.A. 1995-2005
Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Florida Managing Partner
- Administered daily operations to ensure compliance with firm policies. Negotiated office lease and other business agreements. Responsible for all employment decisions including hiring and termination of legal staff.
- Defended financial institutions in hundreds of suits brought regarding consumer statutes including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, and Fair Credit Reporting Act. Successfully handled multiple jury and non-jury trials as First and Second Chair. Negotiated settlements, drafted legal pleadings and memoranda, argued motions to dismiss, and motions for summary judgment.
- Defended law firms and individual attorneys in legal malpractice claims including taking and defending depositions, conducting case assessment, negotiating settlements, drafting and arguing discovery motions, motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment.
- Defended corporations in connection with labor and employment matters including conducting witness interviews, sexual harassment training, defending EEOC investigations, providing compliance advice, consulting advice on hiring and termination decisions, drafting non-compete and non-solicitation agreements as well as attending injunctive relief and unemployment compensation hearings.
- Reviewed business associate agreements and debt collection letters, provided general compliance advice, and lobbied state legislators as the State Compliance Chair for the State of Florida on behalf of the ACA International, formerly American Collectors’ Association.
Ruden McClosky 1994-1995
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida Litigation Associate
- Defended law firms and individual attorneys in legal malpractice claims including drafting discovery requests and responses, conducting legal and factual research, drafting and arguing discovery motions, motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment.
- Defended real estate developers in connection with breach of contract claims including drafting discovery requests and responses, conducting legal and factual research, drafting and arguing discovery motions, motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment.
Brown and Wood 1990-1994
New York, New York Litigation Associate
- Represented Securities Industry Association, Inc. in connection with drafting amicus curiae brief for U.S. Supreme Court in Gilmer v. Intersate/Johnson Lane Corp. 500 U.S. 20 (1991) in which the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that the Federal Arbitration Act requires enforcement of an arbitration clause to compel arbitration of statutory Age Discrimination in Employment Act claims.
- Defended drug manufacturer in numerous mass tort lawsuits involving products liability claims and the expansion of liability beyond first and second generation litigants including conducting legal research and analysis, and taking and defending hundreds of depositions.
- Defended investment advisers and brokerage firms in securities class action litigation and employment arbitrations including conducting legal research and analysis, drafting legal memoranda, and providing trial support.
PROFESSIONAL LICENSES AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Florida State Bar
- New York State Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Consumer Financial Services Committee
- Circuit Civil Mediator, Florida Supreme Court
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Chair, Board of Trustees, Pine Crest School
- Member, Orange Bowl Committee
- Member, Board of Governors, NSU Museum of Art
- Member, Board of Directors, Crockett Foundation
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, 2013-2019
- Listed, Super Lawyers magazine, Florida Super Lawyers, 2015-2018
- Team Member, U.S. News - Best Lawyers®, Best Law Firms Edition, "Law Firm of the Year," Banking & Finance - Litigation, 2017
- Listed, South Florida Business Journal, "Influential Business Women of 2016
- Listed, South Florida Legal Guide, "Top Lawyer," 2014-2016
- Listed, Legacy magazine, "South Florida's Most Prominent and Influential Women in Business and Industry," 2015
- Recipient, "Most Powerful & Influential Woman Award," National Diversity Council, 2015
- Honoree, "100 Outstanding Women of Broward County," Boys and Girls Clubs of Broward County, 2014
- Recipient, "2013 Top Hat Salute to Women of Achievement Award'" Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc, Zeta Rho Omega Chapter, Fort Lauderdale, FL, March 9, 2013
- Featured, The Diversity Journal's "11th Annual Women Worth Watching Issue, 2013," September/October 2012
- Listed, Florida Trend magazine, "Legal Elite," Commercial Litigation, 2012
- Recipient, "2012 Glass Ceiling Award," The Florida Women's Conference - National Diversity Council, March 2012
- Recipient, "Love For Literacy Gala Honoree," Love for Literacy Gala, Crockett Foundation Inc., March 2012
- Listed, Business Leader magazine "South Florida's Women Extraordinaire," 2011
- Listed, "South Florida's 100 Most Accomplished Black's in Law," ICABA, 2009
- Profiled, Who's Who in Black South Florida, "South Florida's Most Influential," 2007
- Rated, AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5, Martindale-Hubbell Directory
- J.D. with honors, Columbia University School of Law, 1990
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- B.A., cum laude, Princeton University, 1987, Politics
- J.D. with honors, Columbia University School of Law, 1990